Sunday, February 28, 2010

Weddings and Cuys!

February 28, 2010 Sunday
Today I went to my first Ecuadorian wedding. I went with my grandmother Anita because my parents had to go to Quito. After breakfast and then taking a nap, we went to the store to get some liquor. Apparently everyone is supposed to be bring liquor so everyone can drink.
We got there around 10:30 and while we waited for the bride and groom they passed around all sorts of food that I am sure will get me sick or give me parasites. There were these lentil-type beans soaked in water (red light because all water needs to be boiled), but I took off the skin and had a couple anyways. And then they passed around a pan full of homily and pork but everyone just dug out a handful instead of having a plate to serve each other from. I’m not sure how clean their hands were but I figured I was already getting sick anyway. And then I had some cheese, which I am certain was sitting outside for a while, but I figured I was screwed already. In addition they kept passing this fermented-corn drink called “chichi” (I think) where they served you a cup but you are suppose to gulp it down every time they came your way instead of just sipping it.
Finally when the bride and groom arrived they served a soup made out of tripe and sheep blood. I knew what it was and it wasn’t so bad but I was so full it was hard to finish it. And then came the main course: 6 small potatoes, lots of rice, a piece of pork, a piece of chicken, a piece of beef, and for me, a guinea pig’s head! Luckily they know you can’t finish all of this so they pass around a bag for you to stuff you leftovers in and take them home.
We had to leave at 3:00 because my grandmother had to go milk the cows so I tagged along and I’m pretty sure I broke some PC rules of riding in the back of the truck. I actually got to milk the cows this time but I also had to carry the 20 liter (I think) bucket back towards the road on my back. Let me tell you, that was some heavy lifting.
I hadn’t milked cows in a long time, but it came back to me. Haha. After I got home I asked my grandmother if I could go to the dance down the street with another volunteer who was going with his host mother. It wasn’t long before we were dancing away that my host mother came back from Quito and went to fetch me. It’s either her rule or PC’s rule but I am not allowed to party after hours.
I am glad I went however, because I got to see some interesting things. For one, Ecuadorians love to share alcohol I have learned. What they usually do is pour a sip into a cup and then give it to someone. If there are 10 people, they will make sure everyone gets a sip. A couple of minutes later they will do they same thing. It was really entertaining. But now I’m back home on my 1-inch mattress grounded and tired. Good night!



My host grandmother is in the middle as we wait for the wedding party to arrive!


The wedding couple. They had to be blessed before they enter the house.


This is just some of the food I got at the wedding.


A Cuy head!!! Delicious!

1 comment: