February 27, 2010 Saturday
So today was so-so. I couldn’t sleep last night due to the 1 inch mattress I was sleeping on and my headache, which I found out is probably due to the altitude here, 10,000 feet. My vaccinations were also hurting so I could only sleep on one side because the rabies shot was still sore. I have received 5 shots since I got here and I think I will still receive about 3 more. As soon as I thought I was finally going to be able to get some sleep, my alarm went off.
After classes we went to Olmedo, a larger town to eat at. We ended up finding some other volunteers there so that was rewarding.
I’ve been thinking about my mom lately for a lot different reasons. Everything I have done here has reminded me about her in some way. She taught me how to work hard (even though I slacked off), and she taught me how to keep my things clean (such as sweeping with vengeance and washing my clothes), and she taught me how to save my money, and she taught me how to be sensitive to others by taking what they offered and to not complain about luxury. I have come across all of these things here in Ecuador and I am almost certain she thinks she never crosses my mind. I don’t think I could have asked for a better mother. She really has so many gifts and talents that I wish she would realize. Of course I may not have been the best kid, but I would like to argue that I have learned some very important aspects of life through my mother.
Tomorrow I am going to a wedding. Weddings here are two-day events that alternated between the groom and bride’s household. The party starts around 10:00 a.m. and goes all the way into the night around 5:00. Or at least that is what I was told. I will find out tomorrow. The food is supposed to be amazing: cow, pigs, and guinea pigs. I can hardly wait!
Yeah she is pretty amazing....we are lucky.
ReplyDelete